Friday, June 06, 2008

Zeus, Mostly.

Wednesday, after I posted, I went out and played at the Venetian first. I was waiting for the huge donkament crowd to die down at the Rio before playing there. After two hours and change, I cashed out for a $300ish profit and went over to the Rio. I played at the Rio for four and a half hours and cashed out for another $300ish profit. I am running like Zeus, up more than $3k in live play for the month.

Yesterday, I had some errands to run and finished up a little too late to go to the Venetian and a little too early to go to the Rio. I flip a coin. It comes up heads, I go to the Rio. The donkament is running strong when I get there and the 2/5NL list is 100 deep with only seven tables going. I decide to play a Sit-And-Go (SNG) while I am waiting.

Everything you have heard about the SNGs is true. They are butter soft and they are definitely +EV if you have mastered the $5 Turbos on Stars. That is about the skill level. Don’t practice on anything higher; it will mess up your head. It is also high variance, so be prepared to get lucky on your first try or be prepared to play a shit-ton of them so that variance can even out. I just played the one and got busted in push-or-fold land by pocket sevens when I jammed with pocket sixes.

Off to the cash game I go. I get my first really bad beat of the month and it is for all of my chips. I pick up KK in the BB. It folds around to the CO who makes it $15 to go. I make it $45 to go, he calls. Heads-up, the flop is 896 rainbow. I lead out for $100, and he puts me all-in. I feel he has JJ or TT. I insta-call. Turn comes T, river comes A. I show him my kings, he shows me his tens and takes a $1000 pot.

I am a little steamed, but it is under control. He tried to give me his chips and failed, I like that. I am a little unhappy about the bottom line, but I push that out of my head as I try to make good decisions for the rest of the session. I play on for another hour or two. Between the cold air, the annoying person on my right, and my lack of food (I forgot to put the icepacks in the freezer the night before), I am feeling like I should end it. I cash out for a net minus $600.

I had twelve wins in a row and am still up $2k and change for the trip. I had hoped for a couple more big scores in a row. I want to take a shot at 5/10nl when I get up $4k to $5k. But the bottom line is still what I am watching most closely.

6 Comments:

Blogger mookie99 said...

What are the buy-ins for the SNGs and structure (starting chips, blind times)?

12:14 PM  
Blogger Weak Player said...

There are $125, $175, and $225 SNGs for 1000 chips, 15 minute levels that pay out 2, 3, or 4 lammers ($500 each) plus $120 cash.

Also, there are $275 and $325 SNGs for 1500 chips, 20 minute levels that pay out 5 or 6 lammers and $120 cash.

The next step up is a $525 SNG with 2,000 chips and 20 minute levels. They pay 10 lammers and $120 cash.

The biggest is $1,030 with 5,000 chips and 20 minute levels. They pay 20 lammmers and $150 cash.

1:43 PM  
Blogger KajaPoker said...

i was going to leave you a comment on the lurker's post but I guess you took it down? i'm just following your journey through semi-pro poker playing and rooting for you to succeed. i'm really glad you started posting again and good luck!

8:38 AM  
Blogger Weak Player said...

I put it up and then decided it was not ready for prime time...It will be back shortly

8:51 AM  
Blogger cmitch said...

We should definitely meet up this week and play some cash games. I don't have your email address, but I emailed Don with my cell phone number and he has my email. I get in on Monday afternoon.

Yaaaah for the guy trying to give you money there. Sucks for the result, but it looks like you are on the plus side of variance so far. Keep tearing up the tables

9:29 PM  
Blogger lightning36 said...

Sucks when your instincts are right on and variance gets you. Keep up the good work!

1:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home