Monday, May 01, 2006

Amusing Distraction

Last night I was feeling very anxious. It was the usual Sunday night thing. Except bigger because I am leaving my job, but have not yet given them my "final" answer. Gracie suggested that I try this: play a SNG, but don't call any bets. Raise or fold only. It seemed like an distracting concept, and I had nothing to lose. I chose a $15+1 turbo and away I went. The results were unexpected. I played like a maniac, but that is not that bad of a strategy in a turbo, it seems. Here are some really funny hands:

  • I raise [Qc Tc] in late position. HU, the flop comes [4c 3c 8h]. EP bets out 120, I min-raise. I make my flush on the turn. He bets out 400, I go all-in. He calls with [7s 7c]. I take it down.


  • With the blinds at 75 and 150, EP makes it 400 to go. I min-raise with [7c 7s]. (The shoe is on the other foot, now.) The flop comes [5c 8c Kd]. EP bets 500, I go all-in for 1758, he folds.


  • With 100/200 blinds, I am UTG and I raise to 600 with [Ac Jh]. The button puts me all-in for 2858. I call. He shows [Ah 7c]. I take it down.

  • Finally in HU play, 200/400 blinds, I pick up [Qs Js] The button makes it 800. I make it 1200, he makes it 2000, I make it 4591. The button calls and shows [Ah 2d]. I hit the flop and take it down. I take first place in this SNG.

I will definitely try this again. Perhaps it may actually be +EV in low level SNGs? If not, it sure is some righteous fun. Almost as good as a $3+R.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you play like a maniac, people realize and adjust their play, and that's when they screw up.

They begin playing back at you, and depart from their usual style in attempt to adjust. As a result, they play out of their comfort zone and make more mistakes.

I first read about this formally in an article by Chris Ferguson.

3:22 PM  
Blogger Garthmeister J. said...

Nothing beats Rebuy Madness.

5:04 PM  
Blogger Matt Silverthorn said...

Haha, awesome. I may have to give that a shot sometime.

8:50 AM  
Blogger Halo said...

Sounds like an interesting idea. I have always liked the plan of "If you are going to play a hand, raise preflop" no calling or limping. Good post man.

10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home